Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Joys of Being a Mommy


Well, Caden still has diarrhea, which means he has had it for 18 days! Long time for a baby who is only3 months old. We went back to the doctor on Friday morning to see what is going on. He pooped in the waiting room and I saved his diaper because they smell so bad I didn't want it stinking up the whole place all day. The doctor then asked to smell it and he said that is was definitely Rotavirus still. He is not overly concerned right now because Caden gained 12 ounces in less than 2 weeks. An 'average' baby would have gained 5! What can I say, Caden is a big boy:)


He told me that he wanted some stool samples to run some tests. Easier said than done let me tell you! First off, we had to get enough poop to fill 3 different containers. If the poop touches the diaper or mixes with pee, it can't be used. So, we put saran wrap in his diaper and the fun began on Monday morning. Oh and you have  to have it there within 4 hours of him pooping.


On Monday after he woke up we started. He pooped, but just a little and didn't even fill up one container. I was scraping poop off the saran wrap with a tongue depressor. It was fun, let me tell you! I got poop all over my hands, the nurse in me wanted gloves! But, it really didn't gross me out, since it was my son's poo. He went again a little later, so we were able to take the one container in. I was afraid of what today might bring, but luckily he pooped a ton in one setting we got enough for the last 2 and now we are done:)

Sorry it that was too detailed, I want to remember it!!


Caden turned 3 months on Sunday, and it was my first Mother's Day! He weighs in at 15 lbs and is 25 inches. Big boy! He is learning so much stuff and I can't wait for him to continue to grow up. He is laughing now and really tracking us now. He used to never follow us with his eyes, but now he does. He gives us the biggest smiles and overall is happy, even with being sick. He also is starting to get a cold I think:( Derek has one and his little nose is stuffy! Just what we need right now! I am hoping that him being sick is why he has started to get up WAY too many times at night. He was up more than he slept it felt like last night. I ended up holding him for 2 hours just so I could get some sleep. Little stinker. I am one tired momma to say the least. Poor guy.

Mother's Day we went to church and then Caden and I headed to Indianola to have lunch with my Mom and Derek went to have lunch with his. Then he joined up in Indianola for the rest of the day. It was a relaxing day and I truly felt special. Derek and Caden made me a card and wrote some very nice things in it. My family gave me a Willow Tree of a mom, dad and baby and Derek's parents got me a gift card. Very sweet of all of them!

4 comments:

  1. Poor sick boy- get better buddy!

    You sure do have a great mommy!

    Thanks for the post Lizzy- not too detailed for his auntie :)

    Love you all and I am so glad you had a good mothers day- you deserve it!

    I will be praying that the little buster sleeps better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that does not sound like fun!!! But you are doing such a good job being his momma! Hope you two are doing well and hope you get some rest tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute boy! He is so happy and sweet! We pray he feels better soon. You have been taking great care of him and yourself. You have been off dairy for weeks now. We are proud of you. It was wonderful being able to spend your first Mother's Day with you. Thanks for coming! Lovew to all! Kisses,too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a cute little smile he has! They grow so fast! Poor thing being sick for so long... Have you thought about taking him to a chiropractor? I know a good one in your area. :)

    ReplyDelete